Diaspora is a distributed, open source social network platform in development.
Recently it has become pretty usable even for end-users. Recent events in Nymwars cause flocks of people to move over from Google+, and recent user interface changes make lot of people move over from Facebook, so the population is growing.
- http://joindiaspora.com/ - the official site, basically no info apart from a few links
- Twitter feed of @joindiaspora - the chatty one
- Diaspora Official Wiki - many useful things to know, mainly regarding pod install
- GetSatisfaction diapora part
- diaspora@convore -
- irc://freenode.net/#diaspora - the internet chat channel ready to help - or not. :-)
- issue tracker - here come the bugs!
- pivotal tracker for diaspora
- All kinds of TLS/SSL problems
- mail send doesn't work, no error: probably tls verification or smtp auth problem
Features / Design
- security/filtering fatures for daddies
- filtering specific hashtags
- filtering given aspects (stream BUT NOT aspect1 AND aspect2)
- global searching for unique things: guid, ?
- global searching for widely used resources: hashtags, keywords (full text search), ?
- global searching for non-unique but low duplicate things: usernames, ?
- population count, pod count as a search piggyback?
- DHT for publishing pods, users, ...?
- public keys for pods
- known pods and new pods
- avoid injected flood (posts, comments)
- avoid mass-spamming (targeting large amounts of pods)
- avoid user data gathering?
- avoid mass replying on existing global searches (fake responses)
- ability to block pods, users
- killfile? user-local? pod-local? automatic voting mechanism?
- RightToLeave (along with history)
- message editing and its propagation
- message deletion and its propagation
- Propagating public posts beteen pods (pods requesting posts after an id; pods registering into the mesh as public post receivers; putting X in an aspect registers on X's pod as public receiver)
- incremental update of whatever messages (aspect waiting due to pod crash, public posts, old posts of people newly sharing with users on other pods, etc); requestor should be able to pull, not otherwise
- Your KeyPair is your identity, save them, keep them or you cannot claim your possession in on the network anymore.